The term ‘Big Five’ refers to five of Africa’s greatest wild animals – lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino.
- Lions : The lion has forever been a symbol of strength, power and ferocity.
- Leopards : Leopards are astoundingly strong. They are pound for pound the strongest of the big cats. They are able to climb trees, even when carrying heavy prey, and often choose to rest on tree branches during the day. One reason why leopards sometimes take their prey up in the trees is to ensure lions or hyenas can’t steal them
- Elephant : The largest land animals in the world.
- Rhino: Large, herbivorous mammals identified by their characteristic horned snouts. The word “rhinoceros” comes from the Greek “rhino” (nose) and “ceros” (horn)
- Buffalo: African buffalo is the only species of wild cattle that can be found in Africa. It is also known as Cape buffalo
So don’t delay book your next African Safari with us as we go in search of these amazing big 5 creatures!